Thee Oh Sees, Best Coast, Ty Segall, No Age, French Vanilla, Joyce Manor, Mogwai, Sleep, Kings of Leon, Deerhunter, Devendra Banhart, Deafheaven, Jimmy Eat World, Silversun Pickups
Written by Patrick McNamara
Here are 10 good shows you can / should see in LA this January.
Welcome to 2017 A.D.
I luv U!
10 Good Shows To See in LA This Month
January 2017 A.D.
1. Bay Area psych-garage pot* punk heroes Thee Oh Sees play two shows at Teragram on Friday, January 6th (tickets) and Saturday, January 7th (tickets) and somehow impossible there are a few tickets still available to both. UPDATE: Sold Out!
*this was supposed to be 'post' but I thought my typo was funnier so the typo stays in the feature!
Please note: again, this dope show takes place at the Belasco -- not The Smell -- thank u for your time.
3. French Vanilla is the Hardest Working LA Band of 2016! Go see all their practice practice practice practice pay off off off at Bootleg on Sunday, January 8th (tickets) with a show that shall be tight tight tight. Still hustlin' out there!
4. Joyce Manor play two shows at The Regent on Friday, January 13th (tickets) and Saturday, January 14th (tickets) and my new year's resolutions was to go see more good bands like Joyce Manor and also to never get hungover again. I got tickets to this, so one outta two ain't bad.
5. Love Trumps Hate! There's a big time benefit for the ACLU & Planned Parenthood at Bootleg on Saturday, January 14th w/ Silversun Pickups, YACHT, Nick Waterhouse & more solid peeps participating. Good show. Good cause. Go.
6. Mogwai play The Theatre at Ace on Wednesday, January 18th (tickets). The last time these Scottish post rock heroes / legends / saviors played LA was in 2014 A.D. (three years before the Apocalypse) so like catching a comet you should try your very best to go to this show because who knows when you'll get another time to see Mogwai, a band you always meant to see, a band you were meant to see.
Best punk band ever, man.
8. Sleep…. when you're dead... or done waking / baking! Cosmic stoner heroes Sleep play two shows with Melvins at The Fonda on Friday, January 27th (tickets) and Saturday, January 28th (tickets). Please note: you might smell a funny kind of sweet smoke.
9. King of Leon & Deerhunter play The Forum, on Saturday, January 8th (tickets). Deerhunter is cool but guess who's never really listened to Kings of Leon (unless they were playing in some fitting room I was in or something). This blob!
Freak Folk Foreva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other notable LA shows in January = Gone is Gone at Troubadour + Cate Le Bon at Highland Park Ebell Club + Deafheaven at Echoplex + Jimmy Eat World at The Observatory + Hamilton Leithauser at Teragram + Silversun Pickups at The Grammy Museum